Thursday 20 January 2011

Case Study - Research

This term we have been researching and gathering information on a designer of our choice. The designer has to be of relevance to me and my potential career direction.

I originally started looking into Pixar and John Lasseter as I thought his work ethic was amazing and he really loves what he does. Some of the work he and the designers at Pixar have created really makes people feel and affects their emotions.
During a lesson with our Tutor we were shown work from last year and I realised John Lasseter wasn't 'Graphic Design' enough. He didn't really apply to the work we were creating on the course. 

Next I looked a Jamie Hewlett, the artist behind the identity of the band Gorillaz. I've liked his style for a while and particularly liked how his traveling and research had had an impact on his work. Again he didn't really apply to the course and my 'career direction'.
During the history module, we looked at the work of Abram Games. A designer who created propaganda posters during the war. I was inspired by his work and the meanings behind his pieces.
I thought it would be interesting to look at designers who use their designs to get across messages and influence others. I ended up going back to my Top 40 research and looked at lists of top 10 graphic designers. The same names kept appearing: David Carson, Neville Brody and Peter Saville. 
After reading an interview with Peter Saville I became very interested in his theories on design and design education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment